Interesting facts about wine, did you know?
The dinner host, in Ancient Greece, would always be the first to sip the wine to assure guests that it was not poisoned.
- Wine makes women intoxicated easier and faster because women have less of an alcohol dehydrogenase, a compound that breaks down alcohol and is needed to metabolise alcohol efficiently.
- People who have a severe hate or fear of wine suffer from a phobia called oenophobia.
- The oldest bottle of wine in the world was found near Speyer in Germany in 325 AD.
- In the olden days, ancient Romans used to season their wine with fermented fish sauce, garlic, lead, and absinthe.
- You can produce about 60 cases of wine from a ton of grapes.
- To avoid overheating your wine, one should always hold the wine glass by the stem.
- It can take up to four to five years to harvest newly-planted vines.
- The largest wine-producing regions in the world are France, Italy, Spain and California.
- A bottle of wine consists of about 1.27kg of grapes.