The history of Le Pommier includes a lengthy list of owners since the 1600’s.
• The restaurant was an animal shed in 1916, a type of storeroom for animal food and a chicken run.
• The guesthouse has 3 types of accommodation; 6 Suites on the edge of Le Pommier overlooking the dam, 1 Family Self-catering Unit also overlooking the dam, 7 Country Rooms situated close to the restaurant and 1 Couples Self-catering room next to this.
• Le Pommier Country Rooms consists of 7 country rooms the original farm’s homestead and the first business here was a coffee shop known as “Die Banhoek Kombuis” year’s after.
• In 1986 André Grobler, the owner of Le Pommier and Glen Arum, built accommodation for the workers who worked on the farm from time to time, next to the dam.
• Le Pommier’s family self-catering unit was home to about six families; it was known as the “drie deur huis”. The building was originally on the farm when André bought it from Dr Piet le Grange. While under the ownership of Dr Piet Le Grange it was a pig farm and known as Yew Tree.
• Peter Rhymer was the owner from 1996 to 2002 when Mac van der Merwe bought the Zorgvliet, Le Pommier and Spring Grove Farms.
• The workers accommodation was revamped and converted into guest Suites in 2005.
• In 2005 it was converted into guest accommodation with a private splash pool and braai facilities overlooking the dam and mountains.
• Le Pommier remained in the family when Mac van der Merwe’s eldest daughter and son-in-law, Johan van Schalkwyk, purchased the farm at the end of 2014.
• Since then Johan & Melanie have continued to build on the successes and good reputation earned by previous owners.
The Country Rooms were refurbished along with other renovations.
A wedding, conference and function venue was added and true to Le Pommier's style and brand, this was done to resemble a farmyard barn. The venue has 90 degrees glass panels and sliding doors maximising on the stunning view of the Simonsberg mountains. The Vineyard Barn venue can accommodate 150-180 guests.
2020 - Dream and do
Envision 2 additional hectares of Malbec and Cabernet Franc vinyeards to be planted in the surrounding areas of the new venue.
THE TEAM AT LE POMMIER IS WELL-KNOWN FOR THEIR HOSPITALITY AND FRIENDLY SERVICE, SOME OF THEM HAVE BEEN PART OF THE FAMILY FOR MORE THAN 30 YEARS. We hope to meet you soon.